Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Portable shelf blocks

Welcome to my first crafty blog article.

The first project that I will be tackling here is “Blocks”. The idea is to have portable shelf blocks, which are loss, & stackable.

I had an idea . . .

 photo IMG_1502-1.jpg
I decided to do the blocks 300mm square inside. This would make a nice size block, & its about the same size a scrapbooking page. I found out the width of the wood was 18mm.

I put together a basic plan . . .

 photo IMG_1499.jpg
I then popped into the local hardware store. I ordered some cheap wood, & was happily surprise to find out they even cut it for you. So I eventually left with a boot (car trunk) full of wood pieces.

Ready to go, with all the pieces of wood . . .

 photo IMG_1386.jpg
This is not the pretties work environment, I know. It’s our garage, but it’s the only area in the house I can separate myself from my 1 ½ year old munchkin  If you’re a mom, you know, they just want to play with, what you got, & stick it in their mouths.

Ingredients to build 9 blocks:

  • Drill, with the correct drill bit
  • 108 wood screws (one for each corner, & one in the middle of each side)
  • Wood:
    • 18 pieces -> 300mm X 300mm (width 18mm) = Sides
    • 18 pieces -> 336mm X 300mm (width 18mm) = Top & bottom

Back to work . . .

Our garage is a nice “work” work area, so I cleared my work space, & got everything I needed together.
 photo IMG_1390.jpg
I matched up the corners, held tight, & drilled.
 photo IMG_1392.jpg
Rather over the drill the screws in, than let them stick out, because you can always fill the screw hole.
 photo IMG_1403.jpg photo IMG_1394.jpg photo IMG_1398.jpg

The final product . . .

 photo IMG_1407.jpg
I'm, a lot, out of practise using the hardware tools, so it didn't line up perfectly but, nothing that can't be fix with a little sanding.

Next time . . .

The next step is to sand down the rough wood, & not perfectly lined up corners. Then it can be painted. Now you know what will be in my next blog, I’ll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment